Leadership is not defined by words. It is defined by results. I have a list of 10 questions that I share with leaders that I work with as a way to determine if they are truly leading their companies and organizations.
Don’t just ask yourself these questions and then be done. Rather, ask these questions and then really think through the implications for each question and your answer. I suggest that each leader reviews this list of questions twice a year minimum. After you review them, it’s important to build an action plan to strengthen your leadership; however, not from all 10 questions, just two of them. By diligently focusing on the two questions you feel you need to work on, you will significantly increase your leadership skills over time. I truly believe that leadership is defined by results, and not the results achieved by you but rather by those you lead.
Here are the 10 questions:
1. Are those you lead better by being lead by you?
2. What do you do for those you lead that grows them professionally and personally?
3. Do those people you had the opportunity to lead 5+ years ago look back on their time spent with you and consider it rewarding?
4. How do the people you lead impact your life?
5. Does your team operate as effectively when you’re gone as when you’re present?
6. Do those people you lead always move onto bigger and greater opportunities when they leave you and the company?
7. Do you have a coaching and development plan for each person you’re leading, and how committed are you to that plan?
8. Is your team viewed as the one people want to be apart of?
9. Do your team’s results far exceed the sum of each person?
10. Do you and every member of your team have a servant’s heart when it comes to helping others?
So, which two questions will you focus on? Dig deep, create a plan and execute well. Leadership is a skill that must be nurtured each day just like you must nurture each person you have the privilege of leading.
Copyright 2019, Mark Hunter “The Sales Hunter.” Sales Motivation Blog. Mark Hunter is the author of High-Profit Prospecting: Powerful Strategies to Find the Best Leads and Drive Breakthrough Sales Results