How to Handle the “I Don’t Have The Time” Objection

For Guest Post Monday, we are fortunate to have Mike Brooks, Mr. Inside Sales, an experienced consultant with cold calling and sales tips that can give you a positive edge as you grow your customer base. In this great post, Brooks offers you solid tips on responding to a common objection we hear.

How is the first quarter going?  Are you cold calling, prospecting and reaching out to prospects?  If so, you’d better be prepared for what is sure to be one of the biggest brush off objections this year: “I’m too busy. I don’t have the time to talk to you now.”

Because of the personnel cuts over the last 24 months, you’ve probably noticed (possibly even at your own company), that many companies have laid people off and more work is required of those who are still employed.  What that means to you is that you must be prepared for this and even more so, you must be equipped with the right scripts to handle this objection.

As I’ve written over and over, the sales reps who are going to be successful in today’s market are those who are prepared for the objections and selling situations they will find themselves in 90% of the time.  That amounts to about 20% of you. The other 80% of sales reps?  They will continue to struggle because they will insist on ad-libbing it and making it up as they go along.

To help you be prepared for the “I don’t have the time” brush off, memorize these scripts below and be prepared to use them every time you get this objection:

Response #1:

“I know that feeling. My desk is full of things I need to do, too.  I’d be happy to schedule a time to call you back, but I don’t want to bother you if you’re really not interested.  Let me ask you a quick question and be honest with me:

If I could show you a (system/product/service) that is proven to (reduce your overhead, generate more sales, etc.), would it be worth it for you and me to take for just 5 minutes to see how it could work for you?”

If the response is NO: “No problem.  Before I go, who else do you know that might be able to use a system like this?”

If the response to the original question is YES: “Terrific.  Do you have 5 minutes right now?”

If NO: “I’m looking at my schedule. What is a good time later today?”

Response #2:

” (Prospect’s name), you probably get a lot of calls like I do, and my initial reaction is to say I’m too busy as well.  But I can explain this to you in just 3 minutes. If you think it can help you, we can schedule more time later. And if you don’t, we can part friends. Is that fair?”

Response #3:

“‘I’m with you.  Before I schedule time to get back with you, just a quick question: Is it a priority for you to fix or improve (the problem for which your product or service was designed) this quarter?”

Response #4:

“I’m glad you’re busy — that means that you don’t have the time to waste looking at things you have no intention of taking advantage of.  Quick question:  If I could show you a proven way to (get the benefits of your product or service), is that something that you would invest 5 minutes learning more about?”

Response #5:

“No problem.  I know what it’s like to be interrupted.  Would it be better to call you back right after your meeting, say in about a half hour, or would you prefer to set up a quick 5 minute call for tomorrow morning?”

Can you see how much more effective you will be by being prepared with and using these kinds of scripts?  Believe me, it will separate you from the majority of your competition.

If you would like more of these kinds of scripts, then you can get more here.

Mike Brooks, Mr. Inside Sales, is based in Los Angeles and is known for his techniques that have helped thousands of sales representatives like yourself sharpen their skills and boost their income.

Share This Post
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Recent Post

Yes! I want a "Weekly Sales Tip"

1 thought on “How to Handle the “I Don’t Have The Time” Objection”

  1. Pingback: Tweets that mention How to Handle the "I Don't Have The Time" Objection | Sales Motivation and Sales Training -- Topsy.com

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *