Many salespeople struggle with knowing how to negotiate successfully.
It’s not only a problem for salespeople, but really for everyone because at one time or another, everyone finds themselves in a situation where they’re having to negotiate.
Below are 12 quick tips — or maybe I should say guidelines — you can use to help you negotiate more effectively. Even better is they might show you how to not negotiate at all!
1. Never negotiate with anyone who is not qualified to negotiate.
2. Never put things into writing unless you’re prepared to live with them.
3. Always have room to give something the other person will consider a perceived benefit.
4. Know when to walk away, and be confident in doing so.
5. Know at least five things the other person wants that you can offer.
6. Know at least five things you can say that will discount what the other person is offering (price not included).
7. Always treat the other person with respect and dignity.
8. Never enter a negotiating process until both sides are clear on what is being negotiated.
9. Use the sell/buy approach first.
10. Never offer options until after you’re deadlocked on price, and the customer has provided you with additional information.
11. Always put the negotiated outcome in writing immediately.
12. Upon reaching an agreement, thank the other party, but do not celebrate.
This is by no means is a complete list, and of course, there are more insights behind each one.
Regardless, the list alone should provide you with things you should be thinking about the next time you find yourself about to negotiate. In the end, the biggest thing that matters is the level of preparation you do before negotiating.
The better the preparation, the more confident you will be, and the more confident you are, the more successful you’ll be.
Copyright 2014, Mark Hunter “The Sales Hunter.” Sales Motivation Blog. Mark Hunter is the author of High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price.