If you’re content being average, then don’t read any further. If you’re content being average, then don’t be surprised when you wake up one day and find yourself struggling to make anything happen.
Being average is simply something no one can aspire to or be satisfied at being. There’s only two positions you can occupy: You’re either a top-performing salesperson or you’re doing everything you can to become a top-performing salesperson.
Below are 10 things you can do right now to accelerate your move from average to great:
1. Find 3 top-performing salespeople with whom you can associate to exchange ideas and help to inspire and drive you forward. We become who we associate with.
2. Stop associating with salespeople and anyone else who does not have a great attitude and doesn’t think big with their goals and how they use their time.
3. Clean your sales pipeline with the goal being to create a pipeline that is not big and slow, but rather narrow and fast. Your objective is to have fewer, but better, prospects you can close faster.
4. Know the easiest way to get more sales is by working with your existing customers to create new opportunities.
5. Become a referral machine, both in asking for referrals and also in giving them. If you’re not willing to give quality referrals, then there is no reason for you to expect any yourself.
6. Approach every day with the attitude of helping those with whom you come in contact, regardless of who they are. Success creates success, regardless of who or where it comes from.
7. View each customer as a valuable asset, never talking negative about them to anyone at anytime. People who compliment others and speak kindly of others put themselves in a different state of mind to be better prepared to seize opportunities most fail to see.
8. Understand the most valuable asset you have is your own time and, in turn, build your day to maximize how you use it. Don’t ignore time to personally take of yourself. Average salespeople allow themselves to make excuses as to why they don’t have time to do something; great salespeople find a way to get it done, regardless of the task.
9. Focus your sales process 100% on listening to your customers and doing everything to help them achieve their desired outcomes. Top-performing salespeople know their success is dependent on their customers being successful.
10. Be a learner everyday, always knowing it’s your responsibility to help your customers learn from you. Top-performing salespeople are seen by their customers as being strategic partners who help them see and achieve things others never see.
When you do these 10 things not once but daily, you position yourself to be a winner in your attitude. This motivates you to do even more than you thought you were capable of doing. Average salespeople make excuses; great salespeople make success.
Copyright 2016, Mark Hunter “The Sales Hunter.” Sales Motivation Blog. Mark Hunter is the author of High-Profit Selling: Win the Sale Without Compromising on Price.