Do you have effective negotiating skills?
Take the test below to measure your negotiation skills.
1. Do you resist entering into any negotiations until after the customer has rejected your offer at least twice?
2. Do you have your “walk away” point pre-determined before you start negotiating?
3. Do you know what the customer’s timeline is for making a decision?
4. Do you always allow the other person to make the opening offer?
5. Do you know what it is the customer is looking for and how much they value what they’re looking for?
6. Do you resist entering into any negotiations until both you and the other party are clear as to what it is you’re negotiating over?
7. Do you have a list of variables you’re willing to trade?
8. Do you only negotiate with the decision maker?
9. Are you prepared to walk away from a negotiation should it become emotional?
10. Do you know at least 3 critical needs the customer must have satisfied because of the negotiation?
11. Do you know how the person you’re negotiating with has handled other negotiations?
How did you do?
If you answered “yes” to 10 or more questions: Congratulations! You’re a master negotiator!
If you answered “yes” to 8 or 9 questions: Nice job! You’re a good negotiator and should be successful in most situations.
If you answered “yes” to 6 or 7 questions: You’ve got potential. In the meantime, make sure all of your negotiations are with your mother.
If you answered “yes” to 5 or less: Donald Trump is waiting for you — first to eat your lunch, and then to say “you’re fired.”
Now, let’s really be honest.
Whatever you think your score is, it’s really a point or two less.
Let’s not kid ourselves. In the heat of the battle, we tend to do stupid stuff. Negotiations rarely go the way we expect them to and that is the single biggest reason why we can never allow ourselves to go into a negotiation without a plan.
Want to read more about effective negotiation skills? Check out this negotiation article section on my website.
Copyright 2012, Mark Hunter “The Sales Hunter.” Sales Motivation Blog.